Available: June 8, 2015
In stock, shipping now.
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
The vinyl version comes on heavy weight 180g Double Vinyl!
“The only people for me are the mad ones, mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved and desirous of everything” Jack Kerouac, ‘On The Road’ (1957)
If ‘On The Road’ lead characters Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty were modern day beatniks, they would find spirited company in Kanaku y El Tigre, a Peruvian collective who release their sophomore album (and first internationally), ‘Quema, Quema, Quema’, on Strut / Tiger’s Milk in May 2015.
‘Quema Quema Quema’ (‘Burn Burn Burn’ in Spanish) is the product of two years honing the Kanaku sound at the band’s Lima studio. The result is a record feverish in its intensity which screams with joy and cries for help in the same breath.
Back in 2010, their debut album ‘Caracoles’ (2010) brought Kanaku’s creative duo Nico Saba and Bruno Bellatin considerable success in Peru with a set of quirky songs inspired by American folk. Five years on, ‘Quema Quema Quema’ has a whole different atmosphere - euphoric, unapologetically feel-good hooks littered with electronic jitters, ghostly delays, serene Hawaiian slide guitars and a chorus of other-wordly vocal harmonies.
Featuring ten songs including two sung in English, ‘Quema Quema Quema’ is led by the tortured, impassioned vocals of lead singer Nico Saba but the musical relationship between Nico and Bruno is key. “With the new album, we have focused consistently on the melody and the song despite a multi-instrumental approach,” explains Bruno. “We have always shared this process of dreaming up ideas - we both bring light and darkness into the room and use each other as creative mirrors.”
Their strong musical partnership stems from the ‘90s, when, in their early teens, they were kicking the dust together in a punk band in downtown Lima. Now in their late twenties and both now bilingual having lived for periods in the UK and the States, their sound owes much to western music forms. Despite being very different characters with near opposite tastes in music, as life-long friends, they see the fruits of their creative partnership as a mutual appreciation living life charged, intense and always ready to ‘Burn, Burn, Burn’.
Digital Track List
- 1 Quema Quema Quema Kanaku y El Tigre 2:51 Buy
- 2 Nunca Me Perdi Kanaku y El Tigre 3:49 Buy
- 3 Pulpos Kanaku Y El Tigre feat. Leonor Watling 2:54 Buy
- 4 Quien Se Queda Quien Se Va Kanaku y El Tigre 3:24 Buy
- 5 Si Te Mueres Mañana Kanaku y El Tigre 3:52 Buy
- 6 Bubucelas Kanaku y El Tigre 3:51 Buy
- 7 10 Años Kanaku y El Tigre 3:52 Buy
- 8 Hacerte Venir Kanaku Y El Tigre feat. Pamela Rodriguez 3:00 Buy
- 9 Burn Burn Burn Kanaku Y El Tigre feat. Sergi Cecimonster 3:07 Buy
- 10 Fin Kanaku y El Tigre 3:22 Buy
- 11 Quema Quema Quema (Spanish Version) Kanaku y El Tigre 2:51 Buy