Vinyl 2×LP$23.99Read More
Available: March 19, 2015
Available: March 19, 2015
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Strut continue their acclaimed ’Next Stop Soweto’ series as they return to the rich archives of South African music to spotlight the fertile era of the late ’70s and early ’80s. Tightly controlled by oppressive Apartheid laws, South Africa’s music scene had nevertheless progressed into myriad new directions, embracing funk, soul, rock and disco.
The era marked a crossroads for the country’s black musicians. While domestic stars of mbaqanga like Mahotella Queens had temporarily disbanded during the onslaught of disco, younger artists like T.Y. Boys and Elias Maluleke embraced and progressed the style in new ways, adding punk and disco touches to the familiar bassline swing.
For all South African musicians during this time, it was a considerable struggle to operate. Following the Soweto Uprising in ’76, bands would play live shows despite live performance restrictions with freedom of gathering strictly curtailed and curfews imposed. The Radio Bantu group of stations were among the few media outlets for black musicians to get their music heard. For most, music was no way to make a living and many musicians were forced to hold down other jobs.
Despite the harsh conditions, the period documented in ’Next Stop Soweto 4’ was a hugely important one for South African music, setting the stage for the ’world music’ explosion of the 1980s when South African artists like the reformed Mahotella Queens, Hugh Masekela and Ladysmith Black Mambazo would find a global crossover audience and Western artists like Malcolm McLaren and Paul Simon with his infamous ’Graceland’ project would embrace the sounds of the townships. As with all previous volumes, ’Next Stop Soweto 4’ is compiled by Duncan Brooker. It will be released on 1CD, 2LP and digital formats with physical formats featuring sleeve notes by author Francis Gooding along with artist interviews, rare photos and sleeve artwork.
Digital Track List
- 1 Unga Pfula A Chi Pfalo Kabasa 4:42 Buy
- 2 Khombo Ranga Elias Maluleke And Mavambe Girls 2:29 Buy
- 3 Kokro-Ko (Hide and Seek) The Actions 6:08 Buy
- 4 The Things We Do In Soweto Almon Memela 3:46 Buy
- 5 Khomo Tsaka Deile Kae? Marumo 3:44 Buy
- 6 Lekopokopo Single Moqashoa T.Y. Boys 3:09 Buy
- 7 1,2,3 Saitana 2:57 Buy
- 8 Soweto Disco The Movers 4:06 Buy
- 9 Masisizwane Abafana Bama Soul 3:28 Buy
- 10 Manano Xoliso 5:29 Buy
- 11 Mmamakhabtha Damara 6:40 Buy
- 12 Ubukhwele Margaret Singane 4:09 Buy
- 13 Give Harari 5:20 Buy
- 14 Get Down Isaac & The Sakie Special Band 5:49 Buy
- 15 Ain't Sittin' Down Doin' Nothing The Drive 6:02 Buy