Vinyl, 2×12"Out of stock
- + WAV / FLAC
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Strut presents the definitive reissues of two all-time classic Caribbean soul and funk albums, The Beginning Of The End’s ‘Funky Nassau’ (1971) and ‘Beginning Of The End’ (1976).
Emerging from Nassau in the Bahamas in 1971, the band was formed around the Munnings brothers (Ray, Leroy and Frank) and the first song they recorded, ‘Funky Nassau’, became a No. 1 Billboard R’n’B hit, selling over a million copies. “We wanted to create something new,” remembers Ray Munnings, “something that was truly Bahamian. We loved funk but wanted to include elements of junkanoo, the indigenous music of The Bahamas.” An album was written within a week and recorded at Criteria Studios in Miami. “We brought in more Bahamian themes, like ‘Monkey Tamarind’, a wild fruit that grows there.”
By the time of their second album in 1976, the band was managed by Don Taylor, also Bob Marley ’s manager. “Don took us to Byron Lee’s studio in Jamaica and used Teddy Randazzo (Little Anthony & The Imperials) to direct the sessions,” recalls Munnings. “He gave us more of an uptempo jazz funk sound with Chicago-style horns.” The album led to a run of incredible bad luck. Booked to support Marvin Gaye’s ’What’s Goin’ On’ tour, the US Musicians Union stepped in and ordered a US group to fill the slot. They were then added onto a major Bob Marley tour in 1976 before he injured his foot, cancelling all dates.
These definitive official reissues of ‘Funky Nassau’ and ‘Beginning Of The End’ are remastered by The Carvery from original tapes and feature full length tracks from the studio sessions. Both albums feature a history of the albums and the band by vocalist Ray Munnings, alongside rare photos. ‘Beginning Of The End’ appears on loudpress 2LP for the first time. The CD edition features both albums + all extra singles recorded by the band.
- Definitive releases of classic Caribbean albums from 1971 and 1976
- Remastered by The Carvery from original tapes
- Albums include full album histories by vocalist Ray Munnings
- Full promo campaign led by Ray Munnings with European gigs planned from Summer onwards
FOR FANS OF: Caribbean funk, Gilles Peterson, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, KC & The Sunshine Band, King Sporty, Bill Withers, Shuggie Otis, Norman Jay ‘Good Times’, The Temptations, Eddy Grant
Digital Track List
- 1 Super Woman The Beginning Of The End 4:57 Buy
- 2 Trip To Nowhere The Beginning Of The End 5:22 Buy
- 3 Jamaica The Beginning Of The End 6:09 Buy
- 4 I've Got The News The Beginning Of The End 5:02 Buy
- 5 Falling Apart At The Seams The Beginning Of The End 3:50 Buy
- 6 That's What I Get The Beginning Of The End 6:49 Buy
- 7 Bluestrain The Beginning Of The End 3:46 Buy
- 8 Jump In The Water The Beginning Of The End 4:15 Buy
- 9 Bahamian Boogie The Beginning Of The End 3:15 Buy