Strut & Art Yart present a new definitive collection of singles released by jazz maverick Sun Ra during his Earth years, spanning 1952 to 1991. Released prolifically during the 1950s and more sporadically thereafter, primarily on the Saturn label, the 45s offer one-off meteorites from Ra’s prolific cosmic journey, tracing the development of his forward-thinking “Space-Bop” and his unique take on jazz and blues traditions which sounded unlike anything else from the period. As with his LPs, most 45s were only pressed in small runs and were sold at gigs and have since become extremely rare and sought after. Some have only been discovered in physical form in recent years; some were planned and pencilled but allegedly never made it to vinyl and some appeared as one-off magazine singles and posthumous releases.
'Singles' will be released in various formats across two release dates. All formats feature fully re-mastered tracks, rare photos, poster artwork, extensive sleeve notes by Francis Gooding, an interview with Saturn Records founder Alton Abraham by John Corbett and detailed track by track and session notes by Paul Griffiths. The 45s box sets are limited to 500 copies, and each features a hardboard flip top box containing 10 x 45s in their original artwork along with a bound 28pp booklet.
All orders including a 5 ounce Natural Cotton Shopper.
- 1 Space Lonliness Sun Ra 1:00
- 2 State Street Sun Ra 1:13
- 3 The Blue Set Sun Ra 0:48
- 4 Big City Blues Sun Ra 0:58
- 5 A Blue One Sun Ra 1:05
- 6 Orbitration In Blue Sun Ra 0:54
- 7 Hell #1 (a.k.a Out There A Minute) Sun Ra 1:15
- 8 Tell Her To Come On Home Sun Ra 0:59
- 9 I'm Making Believe Sun Ra 0:45
- 10 The Bridge Sun Ra 0:59
- Sun Ra
- Marshall Allen presents Sun Ra And His Arkestra: In The Orbit Of Ra
- Catalogue Number
- Release Date
- September 17, 2014